Trucking Insurance

If you are an owner-operator leased to an expedited motor carrier, you will be required to carry "Non-Trucking" insurance. When you are dispatched and under the direction of your leased motor carrier, their primary liability insurance will cover you. If you are an "independent" owner-operator you are required by law to carry your own primary liability insurance.

Common Trucking Insurance:

Non-Trucking Liability:
Also referred to as "Bobtail" insurance though this is not a completely correct term, Non-trucking-liability provides coverage when the truck is being used for purposes outside the scope of the lease and not under dispatch. An example is using the truck on weekends for personal use.

Primary Liability:
Every motor carrier & owner-operator who operates under their own authority is required to carry primary liability coverage on all owned units and usually also provide this insurance for their leased vehicles.

Cargo Insurance:
Provides coverage for loss or damage to the property a truck is transporting (freight). Generally, provided by the motor carrier for leased owner-operators.

Physical Damage:
This provides coverage for repair or replacement for damage resulting from a covered loss such as fire, collision, theft, windstorm, earthquake, flood, mischief and vandalism to owned vehicles.

Occupational Accident:
This coverage is designed specifically for owner operators in the trucking industry. In most states, self- employed owner-operators can opt out of state mandated workers compensation coverage. While not the same as workers compensation, OCC/ACC is similar in scope and intent. Most motor carriers require their leased operators to be covered either by workers compensation or OCC/ACC at the leased operators expense. For those who qualify, OCC/ACC is generally a lower cost alternative.